Sunday, May 17, 2009

Maybe its time I talked less and listen more. That way, I will be able to stop assuming that others think the same way as I do.

There is a limitation to my own perspective. And I remembered this example that I always used to illustrate this point.

Whenever I see a child cry by the roadside, I tend to assume that the kid must have been lost. It seems like the best logical reason within my own thinking. But more often than not, that is usually not the case. The kid is probably throwing tantrums because of some other reason, but he/she is not lost because the parent is always somewhere near.

The problem is if there is no one else beside that can offer me an alternative explanation, I will still have continued to assume that the kid was lost. Other perspectives is outside of my thinking sphere and there is no way I can know it unless someone tells me so. That is when I get the insight to the problem and make a correct decision.

Otherwise, I will have made a wrong decision (approaching the kid and asking if he/she is lost) but that is not the correct response to the situation.

What I want to say is that sometimes I tend to wrongly assume things, but it was an honest mistake. It is quite impossible for me to see from other perspectives (afterall perspectives are subjected to the person's own experiences).

So unless I can find a way out of this, I will continue to say the wrong things at the wrong time. The consequences are clear when that happens.

I will learn from my mistakes.

No comments: