Saturday, July 25, 2009

Windsurf Camp went pretty well (looking at the response on facebook). I didn't really expect that though, after all many of the things didn't really go according to plan. But somehow everyone still had fun (which is what the whole camp should be like).

Before I start writing about my camp reflections, I will first like to thank personally everyone who has helped me a great deal throughout the camp. Comm members (Eugene, Yoongwend, Kwanrong) and gay buddy Jude for supporting me all the way with the planning and execution of the programmes. CPGs (Hen, Sab, Char, Karen), yanjie, alvin, yongjian, joanna for volunteering to be OGLs when I was extremely shorthanded. Esther for transporting stuff and Simon for kindly lending me all the games logistics at such a late notice. THANK YOU ALL =)

On a personal note, I wasn't really satisfied with the whole camp. Somehow I felt it could have been even better than the one we ended up with. Perhaps this is so because I set quite a high standard as to what a camp should be like. When I fail to reach this, I tend to get disappointed with myself. But what I realised after all this is, as long as the rest of the participants enjoyed themselves, nothing else matters much.

It took me quite alot of effort to plan for the treasure hunt and the mini-race, so it was quite a waste that I had to scrap both plans because the participants didn't really seem interested. But I guess I ought to be more flexible and just go according to the situation instead of rigidly follow the initial plan.

After the second night, almost a third of the participants left the camp early and I was rather saddened by this. I started to question myself whether this camp is indeed such a failure. Never have I been to a camp when so many participants left the place early. Imagine 46 people reduced to 31 at the end of the last day. But things still have to go on.

I cannot expect everyone to enjoy themselves fully in this camp. There had been lots of hiccups because a lot of the things wasn't well-thought out and planned. Boards, accomodation and BBQ food was a problem. Though no one said it out, I could still sense their disappointment. And this really made me emo.

But I am still heartened to see that a few more people seem to be interested in windsurfing. Next camp will be better (If I still remain in comm). But for now, I shall still do my best to serve my remaining time before the next batch takes over.

No comments: