Saturday, November 28, 2009

What is it that I want to achieve in life?

After a msn conversation with huihui, I seem to understand this a "little" better. I still remember all these years, the only dream that I had was to make it to university. Now that I am here, it dawned onto me that I no longer have anything else to look forward to.

Even in retrospect, sometimes I wonder why I am so concerned with getting a degree in the first place. Perhaps it was due to socialization when all of us were young. Our parents always tell us to study hard and get a good degree, otherwise we can only be "road-sweepers" or "toilet cleaners". Somehow this is only true to an extent. You don't have to be a road-sweeper even without any qualifications, and it does not necccessarily meant that you can't be a degree holder toilet cleaner. Come to think of it now, I laugh at how silly I was to believed them in the past.

But I guess our parents are encouraging us for our own good. In this competitive society, qualifications seems to be all that matter. Good Honours means better paying job. But is that what I really want? Materialism doesn't seem to appeal me much. I am pretty fine just wearing pasar-malam clothes or imitation adidas from bangkok. Or is it the society itself, we value success only in such monetary terms. What happened to everything else? Does being poor really meant you are a total failure?

Again people is going to criticse that I'm daydreaming (idealist), or I should just conform to majority. Or that I have never tasted poverty to understand how money can make one happy. Yes that is true, but didn't our parents lived a life that used to be tough? How can we tell that they are more happy now than before?

But that is a side point. I can't forsee myself being happy just by earning a lot of money, whether I can afford to get my own car or that newest Iphone. I don't know what makes me happy (at least for now). There must be more to life that this.

I want to live a life where I know if I were to die tomorrow, I can still leave with a smile. Not trying to be pessimistic here, but since the future is unknown, anything is possible. Some incidents have a higher probability than others though, like getting heart attack, car accident, more than dying under the debris from an earthquake. I don't want to waste my time pursuing these superficial things.

Even after 10 years, I still don't really know what I want in life after all.

No comments: