Saturday, January 01, 2011

Why I did it

For those that don't know about it yet, I recently started this "Eat Alone" Campaign on FB.

Honestly, this is my first time doing this kind of stuff (i.e. public event). I have to admit that it is not easy. I still remembered the first time I explained my idea to the rest of my friends, most of them gave me the "huh", "you're joking", "total waste of time lah".

Is the idea really that strange? I wondered then. But nevertheless, I went ahead. It's not because I have nothing better to do, or I am just trying to be cheeky. I still have a 15MC Honours Thesis to do. I could have spent my time constructively on that. Or even go out with my friends, go play some sports or do my regular volunteering. I had to sacrifice sleep for this. So I'm pretty serious about this.

I did it because I felt it has to be addressed. It is really true that I heard so many stories about people not eating because they are embarrassed to be seen eating alone. There is this negative stereotype about these "loners/anti-socialists". If it was some other campaign, like "Why can't we SU our own faculty modules" I am guess I will do the same. But I wonder whether I will get the same response.

So I supposed that it is the severity of the issue presented here. Apparently, either this social stigma is not important, or people are not at least bothered by it. So as the curious individual, I will question why is this the case. Is it because people are ignorant or refuse to admit it?

Are Singaporeans really so conformists? It's not like I'm anti-establishment or something. What I want is to raise the awareness. As university graduates, if we do not question, how are we ever going to improve? It disappoints me a lot when I received such negative comments, but I guess nothing comes easy if you are the pioneer.

Our kind intentions appeared to be disruptive to others. Very strange. Perhaps I should go study this perceptual issue for my post-grad research next time.

Nevertheless, thanks to all the supporters! Really appreciate everything. Yes. I admit that I am an idealist. I really hope the world can be a better place. It is very hard to change some deep-ingrained mindsets but I am willing to try. This world doesn't just belong to the pragmatists. If I think what I am doing is right, I will follow through all the way =)

No comments: