Friday, January 23, 2009

I'm still figuring out whether to post this article because it's really personal. But then I seriously question the reliability of the medical report.

And like what xia said, "We all gain and lose certain things in life. But don't dwell on the bad when you lose something because you may be gaining something else in the process. Think positive and you'll be a happier person. "

If that's the path I'm given, there is no much I can do but live with it anyway.

According to this report, I run a very high risk of suffering from sarcopengia and edema. Check out wikipedia if you want to know more because its really very technical.

Apparently, my protein mass and bone mass is extremely low for a normal guy (which suggests my weight). This appears to be due to the low protein intake that I have. As such all my muscles are underdeveloped, especially my lower body. It seems that I have to start eating more meat and do resistance training to build up my muscles, before I suffer the fate of "lower body unable to support the rest of the upper body" which I don't know when will happen.

But the other problem is my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is also very low compared to average, which means that I cannot really burn the food I eat fast enough and alot of it becomes fats in my body. I have got like 18% body fat even though my BMI is just 19.

So the dilemma happens if I eat more, my BMI can afford to go up to 23, but then my fats percentage will shoot up even higher. But if I don't eat, I can't get the proteins to grow the muscles. The best option out of this is to convert the existing fats into muscles. According to the report, I need to gain 8.2kg to reach my ideal weight at 65.5kg. To achieve that, I need to -0.5kg fats and +8.7kg muscles. WTH!

And that's not all, I went up to wiki to check out on edema and I don't know a single thing after reading it. I still briefly remember what the person said, "in layman terms, you're overworking your kidneys." Doesn't sound good anyway. Hope I don't have to live with kidney problems for the rest of my life.

Life still has to go on. Now that I know about this, its time to start cutting down fats/salt and all the unhealthy diet and start exercising before these risks becomes reality. Too bad I can't become vegetarian because I still need alot of meat to grow my muscles. No more fried stuff for the rest of the year :(

No comments: