Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Today is the second day of the Sichuan Eathquake and reports have said that the death toll is currently at 20,000 (Lianhe Wanbao, 14.5.08). Seeing the photos of surviving members searching frantically for their loved ones brings a chill down my heart.

One of the articles in the paper that really shocked me was the one that says "Wenchuan 60,000 missing out of their total 100,000 population." I can't imagine almost the half the population in the city gone just like that.

This incident is so serious that even China's Premier Wen personally attended to the causalties in these affected areas.There is great difficulty sending aid to the less-known villages because most of them are in the mountainous regions and transportation is delayed due to poor weather conditions. Rescue workers are trekking on foot to these affected areas, but because of the lack of excavation machinery, they can only do it manually, thus longer time to save these buried people.

The strength of human character is put to the test.

While I penning down this in the blog, others are fighting for their lives in these areas. There must be something I can do to help these people.

The only thing I can do now is to look up at the sky and hope for the best.

No comments: